Friday, July 22, 2005

Car trouble ....

So I'm driving home yesterday, listening to music on my mp3 player, and basically booking down the backroads that I take to travel from West Lafayette to Warren, IN. About half-way home, an hour into the trip, my car decided that it truly wanted to make me anxious. As I pulled onto a highway after stopping at a stop sign, my car shuddered three times as I gave it the gas to accelerate ... it was like I was either pumping the gas pedal or like something inside my car just wasn't catching (like the transmission). Needless to say, I was slightly panicked, but I kept driving, as the car was no longer hiccupping and I was determined to keep heading towards home.

Deciding I probably needed expert advice, I flipped open my phone in the extremely unlikely circumstance that there would be any service out in the middle of nowhere. To my surprise, there was a signal ... but no bars. This results in what I like to call the Sprint tease, where I can dial to my heart's content, but nothing ever connects.

So what to do? Well, if I know one thing, it is that human misery can sometimes forestall bad things happening (at least in my experience). This means that, even though it was 95 degrees in the shade, I flipped off my air conditioning, turned on the heat, and rolled down the window. Now, there was no reason really to do this ... none of my temperature dials were anywhere close to the "red zone", yet for the next hour of my trip until I got home, I didn't have one other problem ... except, of course, the sweat that was dripping into my eyes, even with the windows open.

What's the moral of the story? Don't ask Chris for car advice or rides on hot days.

No comments: