Saturday, September 27, 2008

Bus crash highlights problem ....

Tragic school bus accident in Indiana

I'm going to use this story and make assumptions to jump onto my soap box, but I don't think my assumptions are too far off.

According to this story, the accident was initially caused by a dump truck swerving to avoid a motor scooter that was making a turn. While the driver might have been tailgating or otherwise driving too close, this brings to light something I've noticed lately ....

Because of gas prices, more people are using scooters to get where they are going ... and it needs to stop. Police need to be ticketing/arresting people on scooters who ride in the roadway. The other day, in a line of traffic, I got stuck behind a scooter ... on highway 52. There is no reason, even though town, that an un-plated scooter should EVER be on the highway. It is not licensed for road use (no plate), it cannot keep up with the flow of traffic, may have insufficient equipment to alert for stopping and turning, and it offers no protection for the driver if struck.

For the safety of everyone, this type of thing needs to be stopped. If it doesn't have a license plate, it should not be on the road ... end of story.

No comments: